Rise Asset Development
105 St. George Street
Toronto, ON M5S 3E6
Rise Toronto(Excluding Ottawa, Kingston, Sudbury, Niagara, and London)
647 232 RISE (7473)
1 855 464 RISE (7473)
Rise Ottawa Region
613 725 3494 (ext. 118)
Rise London and Windsor
519 659 2882 ext. 223
Rise Kingston Region
613 544 9056
Rise Sudbury Region
Rise Niagara Region
Rise Asset Development’s Peer Supported Startup Program provides educational, business advisory, and mentorship support.
Now Accepting Applications for Toronto and Mississauga
Rise Asset Development’s Peer Supported StartUp Program provides educational, business advisory and mentorship support. It includes a FREE training program that supports the preparation of a business plan as well as the development of entrepreneurship skills and the confidence to launch and grow a business. While the business plan is being prepared, participants form groups of 2-6 people. Once the business plan is completed, participants meet on a monthly basis in their small groups for up to 6 months to support the launch and growth of each other’s businesses, with the added support of a business advisor and a mentor.
The program includes:
Workshops: Practical, hands-on workshops focused producing a viable business plan and developing business skills. The workshops run from 9:30 am to 1:00 pm, two days per week over a one month period.
Peer Groups: By the end of the training session, participants form groups of 2 – 6 people. Monthly business start-up peer support meetings run for up to 12 months. Each group also has a Rise mentor who will work with them to provide guidance and support as they launch their businesses.
Laptop: Participants who do not have easy access to a computer will be given use of a refurbished laptop.
Expectations and Outcomes: All participants must complete a business plan and will have the opportunity to present their plan to Rise mentors and business advisors on the final day of the program. Participants receive a certificate upon successful completion of the program.
Financing: Participants successfully completing the program may be eligible to receive a start-up grant of $200. They may also be eligible to apply for a low interest small business loan from Rise.
Selection for the program will be based on the strength of the applicant’s commitment to starting a business and viability of the business idea.
Benefits of the Peer Supported StartUp Program
• Business development: The training, business advisor and mentor support help participants research, define and launch their businesses and generate income.
• Networking & Mentoring: Participants network with like-minded individuals and build connections with each other, forming small groups for peer support. Each group is supported by a Rise business advisor and mentor with real world business experience. Your peers, advisor and mentor help you meet the challenges of running your own business.
• Financing: Participants gain access to low-interest startup business loans of up to $1500 through Rise.
The PSSP is currently being offered in 2 locations, Toronto and Mississauga. The Toronto program runs at least once a year in the fall and the Mississauga program runs at least once a year in the spring.
- University of Toronto’s Joseph L. Rotman School of Management; 105 St. George Street, Toronto (a 5 minute walk south from Bloor subway line).
- Contact Carla Kendall, firstname.lastname@example.org 416-978-5498
- Sheridan College
- Contact Kiran Moid, email@example.com 647-830-8425
Eligible individuals must:
• Have a practical idea to start or grow your own for-profit small business (any size, full or part time)
• Commit to attend all course and monthly meeting sessions and submit all assignments
• Self-identify as having experienced anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress, anorexia, addiction, autism, ADHD, or similar challenges
• Be unable to access traditional bank financing for your small business
• Not be in active bankruptcy, behind on child support payments or government taxes
• Reside in Ontario
• Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Strong mentorship positions entrepreneurs for long-term success. Our mentorship program is designed to provide Rise entrepreneurs with the necessary support and guidance as they implement their business plan and grow their business.
Mentors are often business owners and professionals from the local community as well as alumni from the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto.
Our matches are based on the area of strength/expertise of the mentor and the needs of the entrepreneur.
Our mentorship program provides entrepreneurs an opportunity to receive business guidance and support.